Monday, June 02, 2008

Kate (Age 5) Explores Folk Music and Annoyance

HER: Dad, can we practice that one song Charlie sang in school? I can't remember all of it but I know the part where I saw it bug me.
ME: You saw what bug you?
HER: No! That's what the song says. It says, "I saw it bug me" and then there's a golden valley.
ME: Are you talking about "This Land Is Your Land"?
HER: Yes!
ME: Oh, wait a minute, is there an endless skyway in there?
HER: Mm-hm.
ME: Okay. I think I know what we need to do. Let's sing it together.
HER & ME: "As I was walking that ribbon of highway
I saw it bug me, that endless skyway
I saw below me, that golden valley
This land was made for you and me."

Stupid endless skyway. Really gets on our nerves.


_

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, it's just so darn ENDLESS. That bug me, too.

Kimm said...

Precious!

I now have a better sense for why my own father would have been confused when I asked him to sing the Purple Kings song (purple mountains majesty from America the Beautiful).

I recall being quite certain about and completely annoyed at how dense he seemed to be... I bet Kate grows up with that same sort of memory!

Anonymous said...

Just as long as she grows up knowing that it is from RIVER FOREST to the Gulf Stream waters, like we learned...