Tuesday, March 25, 2003

Politeness
Well, what do you do when you're in a coffee shop and they've misspelled "capuccino" as "capacino"? Do you tell a person who's underpaid and overworked that they or their employer are wrong about something so trivial, thereby risking them thinking that you think they're dumb? Or do you let it slide and thus enable the global decline into verbal lawlessness? And if they did spell it wrong, so what and what is spelling anyway and can't we all be brothers and have a flower? Or is it a genuinely helpful thing to do and they'll appreciate your candor as well as an opportunity to present themselves in a more refined manner?

Today, I kept my mouth shut and just, you know, sort of seethed.

Last week, my bank was running a special for employees of nearby businesses including a restaurant called "Old Spaghetti Factory". But at this bank, the one with all my money, it was listed as "old spegeti factery".

I just about had an aneurysm.

No comments: