Thursday, June 19, 2008

Two Days...

until the Overnight walk that I've been telling you so much about. I fly to Seattle tomorrow via the obscure but strangely popular Sun Country Airlines. The training for the walk is complete after a 17 miler last Saturday, after which I walked around like Redd Foxx for the rest of the day. These last couple of days I've even been driving in to work so as not to risk sudden weird injuries.

You can hear a radio show about the issue of suicide and the walk on KUOW 94.9 in Seattle on Friday morning at 9 pacific. Weekday with Steve Scher will be talking about it. My own Weekend America will also be running a story on this week's show. We had a reporter in New York for the first Overnight walk on the 7th of June and she followed a family that lost a son to suicide. He was a veteran of the Iraq war. By the way, we are on pace to lose more soldiers to suicide than to combat fatalities in this war.

Sorry, no jokes here. Just my gratitude for all your support.

5 comments:

Cara said...

Good luck John! Hopefully we'll have some good walking weather for you.

Heather said...

So glad you are doing this. Thanks for giving us a way to support the cause.

Jennifer said...

Go John GO! I am very proud of you for putting your feet to such good work.

Kate said...

Thank you for doing this. We'll be thinking about you and wishing you good weather and iron, blisterless feet.

Tina Rowley said...

You're walking right now, and I'm sending you all the good strong vibes I can. It's just terrific.