Wednesday, August 31, 2005

How is Your Book Going?

Lately I've been going to the West Seattle Uptown Espresso early in the morning (stop in and see me! but don't talk to me! can't you see I'm writing?! what the hell is wrong with you?!) to write for a couple of hours before I start my day. The way it works is this: alarm goes off at 6, I regret ever attempting to get a book deal, I put on the nearest clothes I can find, I drive up to Uptown and get there by 6:10, I get greeted by the perky barista who pours me a huge cup of coffee, I stare at the screen, I write small terrible things for 40 minutes, I kick into gear a little, I start writing faster and faster, despite having no food in me I elect to get a refill of coffee, 7:30 comes around and I'm flying, then I go insane from the lack of sleep and abundance of coffee, then the writing actually gets good, then it's 8:10 and time to stop. I have yet to dare to read anything I've written during these periods.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How does one's stomach take to such a schedule? And what does one eat for breakfast?

john said...

One doesn't. One just ingests caffeine and then tries to write and wake up at the same time. Madness ensues. Hopefully workable madness.