Wednesday, April 02, 2003

Pronoun Trouble
So my son Charlie, who is two years old, is still having a bit of a problem distinguishing certain pronouns. "You" vs. "Me" for instance. So the other day I'm playing with him and my wife comes home. Charlie, who also is just learning the idea of "transitioning", doesn't want her interrupting our fun. So he yells "No Mommy! You don't like me!"
This one is interesting to me. While I'm disappointed that the language isn't fully developed and that he was rude to his mother, I can't help but admire his deconstruction of the situation. He's projecting his dislike onto another thereby making himself a victim and making his opponent into an unwitting aggressor. I didn't think he'd be capable of that level of psychological warfare until we was at least 15.

No comments: