Friday, January 09, 2009

Strange and Sweet

Brent Barry is one of the more interesting guys playing in the NBA. He used to play for the Sonics and developed a real attachment to the city, living a very public life there. Here he writes, uh, a poem. About a team he no longer plays for and that doesn't exist.

I can't help but sit here and think of what this means,
For the fans in the city of Seattle and what seemed to be routine.
Like a ferry ride to Bremerton or fresh salmon from old Pike Place,
A cup of joe while on the go, crossing bridges at a snails pace.
But this season there is silence, a reason not to cheer,
The balls have all stopped bouncing and the Sonics are not here.
Now life has more to offer us than just a doctor's game,
But for most of you, and it includes me too, Let me remind you of some names...

Read the whole thing.



grammy said...

Aw. That's sort of touching. Good ol' Brent.

CheckBek said...

Thanks for this! I'm a Seattleite living in..well, Seattle. But my husband is from the Twin Cities and his mother sent along your blog to give him.. I don't know, his mirror image? He's a Minnesotan living in Seattle :D) I think maybe, she wanted me to know that Seattleites can survive the winter in MN. :D) Anyway, I'm a lifelong Sonics fan and enjoyed your post. Thanks!