Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The Guys In Skates I May Love

So I live in St Paul now (official city motto: "We Seem Nice But Are Evidently Intent On Killing You With Our Cars"). It's trouble with my sports teams. The Mariner games don't start until 9pm local time so I don't know what happened until the next morning usually. And the Sonics? O, woe.

But I am becoming increasingly intrigued by the Minnesota Wild of the NHL. It's hockey! And they're up 2-1 over the Colorado Avalanche.

I've watched much of each playoff game, all of which have gone into overtime. I've even seen goals scored. I have begun to recognize player names like Koivu, Gaborik, and Demetra. But really only those three. Oh! And Rolston also.

I dig the pace, the drama, and the sweaters but I still don't know anything. I don't know what anything means in a game, don't know why all the fans start yelling for no apparent reason sometimes, am years away from knowing what an icing penalty is.
But I am fascinated by it. I stare slack-jawed while others understand.

Hockey to the rest of Minnesota is LA Confidential:


Hockey to me is more like Boobah:

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Icing isn't a penalty - it just stops play and gets you a faceoff in your own end. :)

bonnie said...

Icing penalty?

Is there cake involved? I like cake.

Tina Rowley said...

Icing is for cake! Frosting is better. I give a frosting penalty for the game having icing but not frosting. If it turns out that hockey does have frosting, make it a bonus.

P.S. Go Koivu. That guy is Finnish.

"Post-Google" by TAR ART RAT said...

Uhm... going to have to research Boobah... Boobah... what is it... boo... bah... hm.

Scott Chicken said...

Booh Bah is so 2006. All the cool kids are watching Yo Gabba Gabba now. Or is that so 2007?

And I believe that frosting does get you a face full (of cake) rather than a face off, and occurs when the puck crosses both blue royal icing lines when you don't have enough candles on one side of the cake.

Anonymous said...

CAKE?? Who has cake, where?? Good post. Where's the CAKE???

Bruce Harrington said...

No kidding about the cars. I can't drive, so I spend a lot of time as a ped or biker. If you think St. Paul is bad, stay out of Minneapolis!