Monday, May 08, 2006

How Is Your Book Going?

Haven't written one of these in a while, have I? Probably because every time someone asked me in real life I just shook my head and muttered something and then ran away.

It
Was
Hard
Writing
A
Book.

But after struggling through some wonderful edits by my wonderful editor over the last few months, I managed to cut down the manuscript from 122k words to about 89k. Sections of reading Hannity books at bauhaus coffee in Seattle, watching a lot of Fox News, and visiting the Quayle museum in Indiana were all cut. Other parts were cut down. There's a lot less reflection than there used to be. More action. And a completely re-written last chapter.

Along the way, the jokes I wrote way last summer had long ceased to be entertaining. Were they still funny? I had no idea. Did the chapters fit together? Guess so. Was it well written? Uh...maybe.

Fortunately, Beloved Editor seems to like it just fine and he's a bigshot New York editor. It's off to copyediting, then galleys, then book. I'm apparently going to Washington, Boston, New York, LA, San Francisco, and Portland on the tour. Nowhere in the middle of the country, evidently.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

No book stop @ Elliot Bay?

john said...

Oh gosh. Lots and lots of Seattle appearances. You'll be sick of me, Seattle.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the book (and having it so completely reworked!). That's something I intend to do... some day... write a book... I'm sure it will happen when they get that PC to brainstem connection working better.

Anonymous said...

Hey, we have to get you on with Jon Stewart!

Scott Chicken said...

And naturally you will need an entourage, or as the kids say "posse." And nothing says "posse" like grown men in jumpsuits and chicken hoods.