Tuesday, July 01, 2003

Been Gone A While
Dealing with medical stuff having to do with my daughter.

Here are a couple of thoughts during that time:

1. It's hard to explain to people who don't know that my daughter has achondroplasia . I will be talking about a medical situation that's unique to her condition and say something like "cause, you know, she's a little person." And they'll smile and nod thinking that I mean she's a baby, which she is, but she's also a dwarf. Then I say "I mean she's a little person. A, uh, little person." And they'll keep smiling. And then I'll just say "A dwarf. She's a dwarf." And then they look stunned. I guess I like the part where they look stunned.

2. People often say "Well, God doesn't give you more than you can handle." Or "God must have known what great parents you were." And it makes me think that maybe God has a big scoreboard where whenever people are having some success at achieving a normal balanced life, He sends them down some crazy challenge just to bring them down a notch. And that makes me wonder, you know, if maybe we're going about this all wrong. Maybe if you prove to be a totally weak person and a really lousy parent, God will send you ice cream and some free Nintendo games and a sort of Master Child with the strength of Big John Studd and the peaceful demeanor of Art Garfunkel. Perhaps this is all part of God's plan.

Oh, and my daughter is doing just fine now. Thanks God! I guess!



No comments: